Digital Experience and Presence: Keys to Launching Successful Social Media Career
A reader at Culpwrit: Guiding the career in public relations asked our office director Ron Culp the following question:
I am interested in eventually transitioning to an agency role, specifically in digital PR or digital media planning. Do you have any suggestions for what my next steps should be?
Ron asked for my input which I gladly provided. Here are the highlights, please visit Ron’s site for the full text of my career advice for digital PR.
Creating a Digital Presence
- Have a portfolio of digital work you can point to on the interne t
- Start your own blog, doesn’t matter what. Just do something
- Ask friends/family if you can do any projects for them
Learn By Doing
- This lesson taught me so much about google search engine optimization for images
- Having this experience helps tell interesting stories in interviews
- Positions you to counsel clients well because you’ll have the experience they are counting on
Stay Up To Date on Current Trends
- Subscribe to Mashable, Read Write Web, TechCrunch, Wired
- Seek out Case Studies – These can be just as important as breaking tech