- Why Google hired 4Chan’s creator
- Facebook can prove in-store sales related to ads
- Our boss reads Urban Dictionary
Best Product Hunts
- Hero – The Smart Home gets an automated medicine dispenser
- Go Fucking Work – An extension to make you more productive
- Amit discusses his Amazon Echo
- Ben tells you how to trick yourself into saving money using Digit (disclaimer – referral code)
The News You Need to Know
- Google is letting people create a social feed in Search Results
- Google Create allows thought leaders to become authorities through content
- Google Hires 4Chan creator Chris Poole
- Facebook adds data to determine how their ads drive sales
- Facebook prioritizes live video in the news feed
- Nom is Twitch For Food!
- Meerkat Pivots Away From Live Video
Bill Reads Urban Dictionary
Today we published the Ketchum 2016 Digital and Social Almanac. DOWNLOAD PDF HERE
- 7 Top Trends for 2016
- 17 Articles that drill deeper into those trends
- 100 Top News Stories of 2016 that shaped these trends
I know you’re probably super busy, so I took the liberty to sum up what I consider to be the most important points here
INFLUENCERS – Page 6-7
- Influencers are going to play a bigger role than we think…and we already think their role is huge.
- SO WHAT: BUILD A PORTFOLIO OF INFLUENCERS
- The playing field has changed…but the game is still the same
- Build Relationships Over Time
VIRTUAL REALITY – Page 16-17
- The release of Oculus Rift in addition to Samsung Gear and Google Cardboard is making VR Content more mainstream
- SO WHAT: START EXPERIMENTING NOW
- VR is so powerful that it will eventually be mainstream.
- Your organization needs to start building ‘muscle memory’ in creating VR content to be prepared for a world where consumers expect content experiences
LIVESTREAMING – Page 26-27
- As I type this on a non-peak Monday morning, there are about 500,000 people watching other people live-stream video games on Twitch which Amazon purchased for about $1 billion. During peak view times, this number exceeds many popular cable channels you have likely advertising on
- Livestreaming is difficult and different than producing a video. It requires a different type of entertainer who is incredibly influential with their audience.
- 2016 will be the year that livestreaming goes beyond video games and teenagers and expand into Food, Creative Services, and maybe even Healthcare
- SO WHAT: SPEND A COUPLE MINUTES WATCHING A LIVESTREAM:
- It’s hard to explain a live-stream to someone who’s never experienced it…so go onto twitch.tv and watch a couple minutes of one. You’ll immediately get a sense of the entertainer and community that make this medium so different.
- Then, start to consider how livestreamers fit into your portfolio of influencers and what content you might be able to create
FACEBOOK DOMINANCE – Page 32-33
- Every year for the least 6 years or so I’ve been asked if this is the year that Facebook will die. It won’t be.
- Facebook products hold the #1, #3, and #8 spots for Top Apps and Facebook added 160 million new users this year
- It’s not just consumers, advertisers are making money on the platform and I estimate that Facebook’s revenue will be up 40% year over year
- SO WHAT: Facebook is your Digital cornerstone
- Facebook is the easiest way to reach a large group of people with your content
- Start working with Custom Audiences to tie your CRM in with your content for even better returns
Amit Wadehra and I break down Alphabet, Apple’s Top Secret project to launch a self-driving car, and an app that takes the pain out of finding a good place to drink.
StraightOuttaSomewhere – http://www.straightouttasomewhere.com/
DraftSmarts – https://draftsmarts.com/
BarRoulette – https://bar-roulette.herokuapp.com/signin
TECH NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
Facebook Patent on Credit Rating – http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2015/08/05/facebooks-new-patent-could-make-you-rethink-your-friends-list/
YouTube removing the 301+ – http://thenextweb.com/google/2015/08/05/youtube-is-getting-rid-of-its-weird-301-view-count/
Twitter Dedicated News Tab – http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/03/twitter-featured-news-tab/
Wired: Is Twitter’s Future Customer Service? – http://www.wired.com/2015/08/twitter-will-lose-fight-become-1-800-number-web
@HankGreen Facebook Video – https://medium.com/@hankgreen/theft-lies-and-facebook-video-656b0ffed369
Amit and I talk about Apple’s WWDC, Google’s plans to improve cities, and where you should walk if you’re texting.
Please leave us a 5 Star Review on iTunes!
Utah Valley University Introduces Walk Text Run lanes around campus – http://mashable.com/2015/06/17/text-walk-run-steps/
Facebook Messenger gets Draw Something – http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/remember-draw-something-facebook-messenger-s-first-game-is-very-similar-1296452
Best Product Hunts
SafeDrive – Getsafedrive.com
Hidrate Me – http://hidrate.me/?ref=producthunt
Makerbook – http://makerbook.net
Spotify Taste Rewind – https://spotify-tasterewind.com/
Apple WWDC – http://live.theverge.com/apple-wwdc-2015-liveblog/
Apple Radio – http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33064181
Apple Proactive Assistant – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8732215/proactive-apple-ios-google-now-wwdc-2015
Nest Is Holding Press Conference – https://fortune.com/2015/06/17/nest-launches-smart-home-video-gadget-the-nest-cam/
Facebook Launches Moments – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8779581/facebook-moments-app-photo-sharing
Google Launches Sidewalk Inc
Dick Costolo Resigns from Twitter – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/11/8767881/twitter-ceo-dick-costolo-is-leaving-the-company –
Microsoft Hololens at E3 – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8782595/microsoft-hololens-minecraft
Facebook will favor posts in News Feed based on time friends spend looking at them – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/13/8775587/facebook-news-feed-uses-time-read-to-promote-posts
Amit and I talk about Google I/O, Mary Meeker’s State of The Internet, and a Kung Fu movie.
Please leave us a 5 star review on iTunes.
Kung Fury Movie – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
Obama Joins Twitter – The real Barack Obama – http://twitter.com/potus
Brand Tale – https://www.brandtale.com/?ref=producthunt
NEW APP – Unicorns – Live stream your iPhone screen – https://unicorns.io/stream/demo
Facebook Has Gifs!
Mary Meeker’s State of Internet 2015
Ad Blocker Native Advertisements
Reddit Launches Video service
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference – June 8 – 12
Every year, the tech community eagerly awaits Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends report. Not only is it packed full of rich yummy data, Meeker also provides cases and stories from around the world to inspire and surprise you.
On Wednesday March 27, Meeker presented her 2015 report.
Here were my Top 7 TakeAways
- FACEBOOK ISN’T DEAD – Despite what media says, 12-24 year olds use Facebook and Instagram constantly and consider Instagram to be the most important platform. Don’t believe the hype on this.
- FACEBOOK VIDEO IS CRUSHING IT – 50% of Facebook’s Daily Active Users watch 1 or more videos per day and 75% of them do so on mobile.
- MOBILE OPPORTUNITY – Marketers still haven’t found the best way to advertise on mobile and there is a HUGE gap between the attention people give mobile and the amount of money we spend marketing on it.
- BUY BUTTONS ARE WHAT’S NEXT AFTER VIDEO – The ability to seamlessly transact in social will get better and more accepted.
- SOCIAL IN THE ENTERPRISE IS ABOUT TO BLOW UP – Enterprise social will impact the way we work and communicate as well as continue to disrupt the way we communicate with customers.
- OPTIMIZE CONTENT (ESPECIALLY VIDEO) FOR VERTICAL SCREENS – Because of the rise in mobile, people are consuming content in a vertically oriented screen (holding a phone vs. watching a monitor). You must design UX and video for this.
- ON DEMAND EVERYTHING – Driven by Millennials, we will continue to see business disrupted by On Demand Everything – Jobs, Services, and Products.
RSS Link – http://asseenoninternet.libsyn.com/rss
Ketchum’s Global Scholar Program – http://blog.ketchum.com/ketchum-launches-the-global-scholar-program
- When Shaq Falls Does it Make a Sound? http://mashable.com/2015/05/07/shaq-falls/
- Purple Delivery – http://purpledelivery.com
- Curvy Tron – www.curvytron.com
Facebook Q1 Results – Link
Facebook “Instant Articles” – http://media.fb.com/2015/05/12/instantarticles/?ref=producthunt
Facebook News Feed Changes — http://mashable.com/2015/04/21/news-feed-facebook-likes/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link
Pro Sports Leagues are Trying to Figure out Periscope / Meerkat – http://recode.net/2015/05/07/pro-sports-leagues-still-trying-to-figure-out-periscope-meerkat/
Teenagers are still using Facebook – http://recode.net/2015/04/08/what-teen-problem-facebook-still-dominates-among-teenagers/
Amit Wadehra and I started a podcast and it’s super fun.
iTunes Link – Please leave us a 5 star review
- Google PacMan
- The Button
Amazon Dash Button
Amazon Home Services
Facebook May Host News
Social Media Spend
Instagram releases Layout
A client recently asked me how I stay ahead. While I read the news everyone else does, my secret weapon has always been podcasts. Below are my 5 Favorite Podcasts. I recommend PocketCasts for listening to Podcasts on Android.
- It’s NOT JUST GOOGLE. Jeff Jarvis, Gina Trapani and Leo Laporte talk about the future of content and the platforms and media that drive it
- I look to this podcast for the ways that Google/FB/Twitter are changing the way we think about content
- It is a briefer podcast where 2 of my favorite tech journalists discuss trends that are becoming mainstream.
- It is VERY entertaining and not so much tech focused, but it helps me keep my pulse on WHY trends are becoming “things”
- If the Mashable website is USA Today, The Verge is the NY Times. Very detailed and informative journalism
- These guys area little snarky but very informative on the imiplications of changing technology
- This is where I get insights on social PLATFORMS that are what’s next.
- I LOVE the female point of view on technology that Sarah Lane and Amber MacArthur provide – it’s critical to have diverse viewpoints when studying tech news.
- This seminal NPR podcast is where old media meets new
- I look to this podcast to understand the bridge and integration between all forms of media
Social Media Week is coming to Chicago Sept 23rd – Sept 27th. It can be very overwhelming so I curated a list of what I’m most looking forward to.
Did I leave something off you’re really looking forward to? Let me know!
The Secrets of Story telling through Paid, Earned, Shared, and Owned Media
- WHY? AMAZING panelists will bring these topics to life and the moderator is an extremely good looking and intelligent person.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=90743#.UhKaa9Ip98F
- DATE – Thursday 9/26 – 9-10am
Content Marketing That Wins: Making brands, readers AND Google happy
- WHY? I really like the speaker, Steve Radick, and content marketing is something we all need to hear stories and ideas about.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=84947#.UhKOOdIp98E
- DATE – Monday 9/23 – 10.30 – 11.30 am
Confessions of a Community Manager
- WHY? Stories (not theory) about community management are the BEST way to improve.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=92881#.UhKaadIp98F
- DATE – Monday 9/23 1-2pm
Big Data v Big Brother: How marketers are dissecting the consumer at the intersection of mobile and social
- WHY? Big data is ridiculously mathematically complex and PR needs to be better at numbers to understand what’s next.
- LINK http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=85281#.UhKaa9Ip98F
- DATE – Monday 9/23 2.30 – 3.30
IBM Opting in: Lessons in Social Business (Disclosure: IBM is a client of my employer Ketchum)
- WHY? I’m obsessed about taking social technologies inside the organization. IBM are leaders in the space and I can’t wait to hear what they say.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=82751#.UhKab9Ip98F
- DATE – Tuesday 9/24 12.30-1.30pm
GOOGLE+ and Brands (Disclosure: I own Google stock)
- WHY? When Google hosts a session, it usually contains a lot of case studies and new thinking you won’t hear anywhere else.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=84359#.UhKRXtIp98E
- DATE – Weds 9/25 – 9-10am
Mike’s Hard Lemonade – Tapping into Twitter to Rebrand and Reawaken a Brand
- WHY? I like Mike’s authentic approach to Twitter – it sounds like a really funny guy name Mike is typing the tweets – https://twitter.com/mhl. I want to meet the people that made this happen.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=85229#.UhKRjNIp98E
- DATE – Weds 9/25 – 4-5pm