Amit and I talk about Apple’s WWDC, Google’s plans to improve cities, and where you should walk if you’re texting.
Please leave us a 5 Star Review on iTunes!
Utah Valley University Introduces Walk Text Run lanes around campus – http://mashable.com/2015/06/17/text-walk-run-steps/
Facebook Messenger gets Draw Something – http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/remember-draw-something-facebook-messenger-s-first-game-is-very-similar-1296452
Best Product Hunts
SafeDrive – Getsafedrive.com
Hidrate Me – http://hidrate.me/?ref=producthunt
Makerbook – http://makerbook.net
Spotify Taste Rewind – https://spotify-tasterewind.com/
Apple WWDC – http://live.theverge.com/apple-wwdc-2015-liveblog/
Apple Radio – http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33064181
Apple Proactive Assistant – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8732215/proactive-apple-ios-google-now-wwdc-2015
Nest Is Holding Press Conference – https://fortune.com/2015/06/17/nest-launches-smart-home-video-gadget-the-nest-cam/
Facebook Launches Moments – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8779581/facebook-moments-app-photo-sharing
Google Launches Sidewalk Inc
Dick Costolo Resigns from Twitter – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/11/8767881/twitter-ceo-dick-costolo-is-leaving-the-company –
Microsoft Hololens at E3 – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8782595/microsoft-hololens-minecraft
Facebook will favor posts in News Feed based on time friends spend looking at them – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/13/8775587/facebook-news-feed-uses-time-read-to-promote-posts
Amit and I talk about Google I/O, Mary Meeker’s State of The Internet, and a Kung Fu movie.
Please leave us a 5 star review on iTunes.
Kung Fury Movie – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
Obama Joins Twitter – The real Barack Obama – http://twitter.com/potus
Brand Tale – https://www.brandtale.com/?ref=producthunt
NEW APP – Unicorns – Live stream your iPhone screen – https://unicorns.io/stream/demo
Facebook Has Gifs!
Mary Meeker’s State of Internet 2015
Ad Blocker Native Advertisements
Reddit Launches Video service
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference – June 8 – 12
Every year, the tech community eagerly awaits Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends report. Not only is it packed full of rich yummy data, Meeker also provides cases and stories from around the world to inspire and surprise you.
On Wednesday March 27, Meeker presented her 2015 report.
Here were my Top 7 TakeAways
- FACEBOOK ISN’T DEAD – Despite what media says, 12-24 year olds use Facebook and Instagram constantly and consider Instagram to be the most important platform. Don’t believe the hype on this.
- FACEBOOK VIDEO IS CRUSHING IT – 50% of Facebook’s Daily Active Users watch 1 or more videos per day and 75% of them do so on mobile.
- MOBILE OPPORTUNITY – Marketers still haven’t found the best way to advertise on mobile and there is a HUGE gap between the attention people give mobile and the amount of money we spend marketing on it.
- BUY BUTTONS ARE WHAT’S NEXT AFTER VIDEO – The ability to seamlessly transact in social will get better and more accepted.
- SOCIAL IN THE ENTERPRISE IS ABOUT TO BLOW UP – Enterprise social will impact the way we work and communicate as well as continue to disrupt the way we communicate with customers.
- OPTIMIZE CONTENT (ESPECIALLY VIDEO) FOR VERTICAL SCREENS – Because of the rise in mobile, people are consuming content in a vertically oriented screen (holding a phone vs. watching a monitor). You must design UX and video for this.
- ON DEMAND EVERYTHING – Driven by Millennials, we will continue to see business disrupted by On Demand Everything – Jobs, Services, and Products.
RSS Link – http://asseenoninternet.libsyn.com/rss
Ketchum’s Global Scholar Program – http://blog.ketchum.com/ketchum-launches-the-global-scholar-program
- When Shaq Falls Does it Make a Sound? http://mashable.com/2015/05/07/shaq-falls/
- Purple Delivery – http://purpledelivery.com
- Curvy Tron – www.curvytron.com
Facebook Q1 Results – Link
Facebook “Instant Articles” – http://media.fb.com/2015/05/12/instantarticles/?ref=producthunt
Facebook News Feed Changes — http://mashable.com/2015/04/21/news-feed-facebook-likes/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link
Pro Sports Leagues are Trying to Figure out Periscope / Meerkat – http://recode.net/2015/05/07/pro-sports-leagues-still-trying-to-figure-out-periscope-meerkat/
Teenagers are still using Facebook – http://recode.net/2015/04/08/what-teen-problem-facebook-still-dominates-among-teenagers/
Amit Wadehra and I started a podcast and it’s super fun.
iTunes Link – Please leave us a 5 star review
- Google PacMan
- The Button
Amazon Dash Button
Amazon Home Services
Facebook May Host News
Social Media Spend
Instagram releases Layout
A client recently asked me how I stay ahead. While I read the news everyone else does, my secret weapon has always been podcasts. Below are my 5 Favorite Podcasts. I recommend PocketCasts for listening to Podcasts on Android.
- It’s NOT JUST GOOGLE. Jeff Jarvis, Gina Trapani and Leo Laporte talk about the future of content and the platforms and media that drive it
- I look to this podcast for the ways that Google/FB/Twitter are changing the way we think about content
- It is a briefer podcast where 2 of my favorite tech journalists discuss trends that are becoming mainstream.
- It is VERY entertaining and not so much tech focused, but it helps me keep my pulse on WHY trends are becoming “things”
- If the Mashable website is USA Today, The Verge is the NY Times. Very detailed and informative journalism
- These guys area little snarky but very informative on the imiplications of changing technology
- This is where I get insights on social PLATFORMS that are what’s next.
- I LOVE the female point of view on technology that Sarah Lane and Amber MacArthur provide – it’s critical to have diverse viewpoints when studying tech news.
- This seminal NPR podcast is where old media meets new
- I look to this podcast to understand the bridge and integration between all forms of media
Social Media Week is coming to Chicago Sept 23rd – Sept 27th. It can be very overwhelming so I curated a list of what I’m most looking forward to.
Did I leave something off you’re really looking forward to? Let me know!
The Secrets of Story telling through Paid, Earned, Shared, and Owned Media
- WHY? AMAZING panelists will bring these topics to life and the moderator is an extremely good looking and intelligent person.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=90743#.UhKaa9Ip98F
- DATE – Thursday 9/26 – 9-10am
Content Marketing That Wins: Making brands, readers AND Google happy
- WHY? I really like the speaker, Steve Radick, and content marketing is something we all need to hear stories and ideas about.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=84947#.UhKOOdIp98E
- DATE – Monday 9/23 – 10.30 – 11.30 am
Confessions of a Community Manager
- WHY? Stories (not theory) about community management are the BEST way to improve.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=92881#.UhKaadIp98F
- DATE – Monday 9/23 1-2pm
Big Data v Big Brother: How marketers are dissecting the consumer at the intersection of mobile and social
- WHY? Big data is ridiculously mathematically complex and PR needs to be better at numbers to understand what’s next.
- LINK http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=85281#.UhKaa9Ip98F
- DATE – Monday 9/23 2.30 – 3.30
IBM Opting in: Lessons in Social Business (Disclosure: IBM is a client of my employer Ketchum)
- WHY? I’m obsessed about taking social technologies inside the organization. IBM are leaders in the space and I can’t wait to hear what they say.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=82751#.UhKab9Ip98F
- DATE – Tuesday 9/24 12.30-1.30pm
GOOGLE+ and Brands (Disclosure: I own Google stock)
- WHY? When Google hosts a session, it usually contains a lot of case studies and new thinking you won’t hear anywhere else.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=84359#.UhKRXtIp98E
- DATE – Weds 9/25 – 9-10am
Mike’s Hard Lemonade – Tapping into Twitter to Rebrand and Reawaken a Brand
- WHY? I like Mike’s authentic approach to Twitter – it sounds like a really funny guy name Mike is typing the tweets – https://twitter.com/mhl. I want to meet the people that made this happen.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=85229#.UhKRjNIp98E
- DATE – Weds 9/25 – 4-5pm
I feel incredibly special to have been selected to Glass Explorers and be one of the first people to get Google Glass. Then, I started going through the data that Stanford student Andrej Karpath compiled and I found this tweet with just the #IfIHadGlass hashtag. No content, nothing to support.
This is insanely interesting because Guy Kawasaki, adviser to Motorola (owned by Google), stated he was not selected. Does this mysterious winner know an insider? Was there a random element involved? Weird. Oh well, I can’t wait to do amazing things with my pair.
EDITED 8-23 Looks like the date has come and gone…I would have thought FB would have made a big deal. Nothing. Oh well…
Facebook had a terrible earnings call yesterday that has sent the stock plummeting. Today, Mashable had a link that Facebook could reach one billion users in August based on an analyst report on iCrossing.
I’ve been keeping track of how many users are on Facebook for a while and thought I’d throw my data aginst it. I am a little rusty from my GE Six Sigma days and a little busy to do a full regression. So, I simply used Microsoft Excel’s Scatter Chart with a simple linear regression to see what it could predict. I used data from April 2007 on as low growth in the beginning was throwing off the numbers
BOLD PREDICTION – Facebook will reach 1 Billion users on August 16, 2012
Linear Regression Equation – y = .5405x – 21299
y – Users In Millions
x – Date
R² = 0.9567
Data is here if you want to do your own thing.
I recently taught a class at DePaul University on Social Media Strategy to Graduate Students in Public Relations and Advertising. Below is the reading list I compiled with tech sources, interesting articles, and relevant case studies that helped guide our class discussion.
Technology and Social Media Blogs
- The Next Web
- Inside Facebook
- Business Insider
- Jeremiah Owayng
- Scott Monty
- Greg Satell
- Chris Brogan
- Peter Kim
- Brian Solis
- Tim O’Reilly
- Jeff Jarvis
- Aaron Strout
Podcasts have been my “secret weapon” over the years. All the news covered on the sites above is broken down into detail. I strongly recommend them
- This Week In Tech
- This Week In Google
- Tech News Today
- The Social Hour
- NPR’s On The Media
- Quick N Dirty
- Brand Fast Trackers
- Ben Foster’s Tweets With Value
- Marshall Kirkpatrick’s Social Strategists
- Marshall Kirkpatrick’s Friends of Strategists
- Tim O’Reilly’s Tech News
- Mashable’s Brands
- AdWeek 25
- TechCocktail Chicago
- The Community Roundtable
Class 1 – The State of the Internet and Public Relations
- Mary Meeker – 10 Questions Internet Execs should Ask and Answer via TechCrunch
- The Cluetrain Manifesto
- Markets Are Conversations – The Cluetrain Manifesto
- The Future of Public Relations
Class 2 – Objectives, Strategies, and Audience Research
- The 5 Ways Companies Organize for Social Business – Jeremiah Owyang
- Online Database of Social Media Policies
- Best Buy’s Social Media Policy
- How to Create Good Social Media Business Objectives – Ben Foster
- How Social Media is changing paid, earned, and owned media – Lauren Drell
- Portfolio Approach to Social Media Strategy – Ben Foster
- Consumer Decision Journey – McKinsey
- Summary of HBR article on Social Media and the New Rules of Branding – Paul Marsden
Class 3 – Creativity, Integrated Social Media Marketing, Content Strategy and Online Community Management
- Old Spice Creativity
- Checklist for Content Strategy – Ben Foster
- The Four Tenets of the Community Manager – Jeremiah Owyang
- P&G Drives new Product Innovation to the Next Level with Increased Crowdsourcing Program
- Starbucks’ Groundswell Award Application
Class 4 – Facebook
- Facebook User Growth Chart – Ben Foster
- How to Create a Facebook Engagement Policy
- Building Your Brand on Facebook
- Healthy Choice Case Study
- Next Restaurant Creates Online Community Of Foodies
- Facebook Open Graph
Class 5 – Twitter, YouTube, and Blogs
- 9 Lessons from Successful Brands on Twitter – Dave Kerpen on Mashable
- Twitter for Business
- Mashable – YouTube and Brands
- How Social Media’s Short News Cycle Can Precipitate Bad Journalism – Bob Garfield on Mashable
- Forbes: Yes, CEOs Should Facebook and Twitter
- Should CEOs Blog?
Class 6 – Internal Communities and SEO
- The Many Roles of an Internal Community Manager – Steve Radick
- Enterprise 2.0 on Wikipedia
- Google SEO Basics
- Google on Search Engine Optimization
- Perfecting Keyword Targeting On Page Optimization
- JC Penney’s Black Hat SEO
Class 7 – Blogger Outreach, Meme Hijacking, Mobile, and Paid Tactics
- You, Dim PR Person, are dumb and Should be Fired – NBA Finals
- Facebook Busted in Clumsy Smear Attempt on Google
- 13 Branded Mobile Apps that Got It Right
- 5 Innovative Mobile Marketing Campaigns to Learn From
- Free Beer! Foursquare starts Alerting Users of Nearby Mayor Deals
- 9 Killer Tips for Location Based Marketing
- 10 Keys to a Good Location Based Marketing Campaign
- 4 Ways to Utilize the Google Keyword tool
- Foursquare and Amex Team Up For Deals
Class 8 – Online Reputation Management
- Social Media’s Role in Company Crisis Management
- United Breaks Guitars
- Domino’s Pizza
- BP Oil and Twitter
- Southwest Airlines and Kevin Smith
- Motrin Moms
Class 9 – Online Measurement and Metrics
Google Analytics Basics
Class 10 – The Future of the Internet (and Your Career)
- Wired’s coverage of the development of Google+
- Wedbush on The Social Graph
- TechCrunch, “The Age of Relevance”
- The Battle Against Info Overload
- The Career Path of the Corporate Social Strategist – Jeremiah Owang
- Twitter Twitter Little Stars
- 5 Clever Ways to Get a Job Using Social Media
- 5 Tips for Aspiring Social Media Marketers