Amit Wadehra and I break down Alphabet, Apple’s Top Secret project to launch a self-driving car, and an app that takes the pain out of finding a good place to drink.
StraightOuttaSomewhere – http://www.straightouttasomewhere.com/
DraftSmarts – https://draftsmarts.com/
BarRoulette – https://bar-roulette.herokuapp.com/signin
TECH NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
Facebook Patent on Credit Rating – http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2015/08/05/facebooks-new-patent-could-make-you-rethink-your-friends-list/
YouTube removing the 301+ – http://thenextweb.com/google/2015/08/05/youtube-is-getting-rid-of-its-weird-301-view-count/
Twitter Dedicated News Tab – http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/03/twitter-featured-news-tab/
Wired: Is Twitter’s Future Customer Service? – http://www.wired.com/2015/08/twitter-will-lose-fight-become-1-800-number-web
@HankGreen Facebook Video – https://medium.com/@hankgreen/theft-lies-and-facebook-video-656b0ffed369
Amit and I talk about Apple’s WWDC, Google’s plans to improve cities, and where you should walk if you’re texting.
Please leave us a 5 Star Review on iTunes!
Utah Valley University Introduces Walk Text Run lanes around campus – http://mashable.com/2015/06/17/text-walk-run-steps/
Facebook Messenger gets Draw Something – http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/remember-draw-something-facebook-messenger-s-first-game-is-very-similar-1296452
Best Product Hunts
SafeDrive – Getsafedrive.com
Hidrate Me – http://hidrate.me/?ref=producthunt
Makerbook – http://makerbook.net
Spotify Taste Rewind – https://spotify-tasterewind.com/
Apple WWDC – http://live.theverge.com/apple-wwdc-2015-liveblog/
Apple Radio – http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33064181
Apple Proactive Assistant – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8732215/proactive-apple-ios-google-now-wwdc-2015
Nest Is Holding Press Conference – https://fortune.com/2015/06/17/nest-launches-smart-home-video-gadget-the-nest-cam/
Facebook Launches Moments – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8779581/facebook-moments-app-photo-sharing
Google Launches Sidewalk Inc
Dick Costolo Resigns from Twitter – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/11/8767881/twitter-ceo-dick-costolo-is-leaving-the-company –
Microsoft Hololens at E3 – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8782595/microsoft-hololens-minecraft
Facebook will favor posts in News Feed based on time friends spend looking at them – http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/13/8775587/facebook-news-feed-uses-time-read-to-promote-posts
Amit and I talk about Google I/O, Mary Meeker’s State of The Internet, and a Kung Fu movie.
Please leave us a 5 star review on iTunes.
Kung Fury Movie – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
Obama Joins Twitter – The real Barack Obama – http://twitter.com/potus
Brand Tale – https://www.brandtale.com/?ref=producthunt
NEW APP – Unicorns – Live stream your iPhone screen – https://unicorns.io/stream/demo
Facebook Has Gifs!
Mary Meeker’s State of Internet 2015
Ad Blocker Native Advertisements
Reddit Launches Video service
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference – June 8 – 12
Every year, the tech community eagerly awaits Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends report. Not only is it packed full of rich yummy data, Meeker also provides cases and stories from around the world to inspire and surprise you.
On Wednesday March 27, Meeker presented her 2015 report.
Here were my Top 7 TakeAways
- FACEBOOK ISN’T DEAD – Despite what media says, 12-24 year olds use Facebook and Instagram constantly and consider Instagram to be the most important platform. Don’t believe the hype on this.
- FACEBOOK VIDEO IS CRUSHING IT – 50% of Facebook’s Daily Active Users watch 1 or more videos per day and 75% of them do so on mobile.
- MOBILE OPPORTUNITY – Marketers still haven’t found the best way to advertise on mobile and there is a HUGE gap between the attention people give mobile and the amount of money we spend marketing on it.
- BUY BUTTONS ARE WHAT’S NEXT AFTER VIDEO – The ability to seamlessly transact in social will get better and more accepted.
- SOCIAL IN THE ENTERPRISE IS ABOUT TO BLOW UP – Enterprise social will impact the way we work and communicate as well as continue to disrupt the way we communicate with customers.
- OPTIMIZE CONTENT (ESPECIALLY VIDEO) FOR VERTICAL SCREENS – Because of the rise in mobile, people are consuming content in a vertically oriented screen (holding a phone vs. watching a monitor). You must design UX and video for this.
- ON DEMAND EVERYTHING – Driven by Millennials, we will continue to see business disrupted by On Demand Everything – Jobs, Services, and Products.
RSS Link – http://asseenoninternet.libsyn.com/rss
Ketchum’s Global Scholar Program – http://blog.ketchum.com/ketchum-launches-the-global-scholar-program
- When Shaq Falls Does it Make a Sound? http://mashable.com/2015/05/07/shaq-falls/
- Purple Delivery – http://purpledelivery.com
- Curvy Tron – www.curvytron.com
Facebook Q1 Results – Link
Facebook “Instant Articles” – http://media.fb.com/2015/05/12/instantarticles/?ref=producthunt
Facebook News Feed Changes — http://mashable.com/2015/04/21/news-feed-facebook-likes/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link
Pro Sports Leagues are Trying to Figure out Periscope / Meerkat – http://recode.net/2015/05/07/pro-sports-leagues-still-trying-to-figure-out-periscope-meerkat/
Teenagers are still using Facebook – http://recode.net/2015/04/08/what-teen-problem-facebook-still-dominates-among-teenagers/
Amit Wadehra and I started a podcast and it’s super fun.
iTunes Link – Please leave us a 5 star review
- Google PacMan
- The Button
Amazon Dash Button
Amazon Home Services
Facebook May Host News
Social Media Spend
Instagram releases Layout
A client recently asked me how I stay ahead. While I read the news everyone else does, my secret weapon has always been podcasts. Below are my 5 Favorite Podcasts. I recommend PocketCasts for listening to Podcasts on Android.
- It’s NOT JUST GOOGLE. Jeff Jarvis, Gina Trapani and Leo Laporte talk about the future of content and the platforms and media that drive it
- I look to this podcast for the ways that Google/FB/Twitter are changing the way we think about content
- It is a briefer podcast where 2 of my favorite tech journalists discuss trends that are becoming mainstream.
- It is VERY entertaining and not so much tech focused, but it helps me keep my pulse on WHY trends are becoming “things”
- If the Mashable website is USA Today, The Verge is the NY Times. Very detailed and informative journalism
- These guys area little snarky but very informative on the imiplications of changing technology
- This is where I get insights on social PLATFORMS that are what’s next.
- I LOVE the female point of view on technology that Sarah Lane and Amber MacArthur provide – it’s critical to have diverse viewpoints when studying tech news.
- This seminal NPR podcast is where old media meets new
- I look to this podcast to understand the bridge and integration between all forms of media
Social Media Week is coming to Chicago Sept 23rd – Sept 27th. It can be very overwhelming so I curated a list of what I’m most looking forward to.
Did I leave something off you’re really looking forward to? Let me know!
The Secrets of Story telling through Paid, Earned, Shared, and Owned Media
- WHY? AMAZING panelists will bring these topics to life and the moderator is an extremely good looking and intelligent person.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=90743#.UhKaa9Ip98F
- DATE – Thursday 9/26 – 9-10am
Content Marketing That Wins: Making brands, readers AND Google happy
- WHY? I really like the speaker, Steve Radick, and content marketing is something we all need to hear stories and ideas about.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=84947#.UhKOOdIp98E
- DATE – Monday 9/23 – 10.30 – 11.30 am
Confessions of a Community Manager
- WHY? Stories (not theory) about community management are the BEST way to improve.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=92881#.UhKaadIp98F
- DATE – Monday 9/23 1-2pm
Big Data v Big Brother: How marketers are dissecting the consumer at the intersection of mobile and social
- WHY? Big data is ridiculously mathematically complex and PR needs to be better at numbers to understand what’s next.
- LINK http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=85281#.UhKaa9Ip98F
- DATE – Monday 9/23 2.30 – 3.30
IBM Opting in: Lessons in Social Business (Disclosure: IBM is a client of my employer Ketchum)
- WHY? I’m obsessed about taking social technologies inside the organization. IBM are leaders in the space and I can’t wait to hear what they say.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=82751#.UhKab9Ip98F
- DATE – Tuesday 9/24 12.30-1.30pm
GOOGLE+ and Brands (Disclosure: I own Google stock)
- WHY? When Google hosts a session, it usually contains a lot of case studies and new thinking you won’t hear anywhere else.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=84359#.UhKRXtIp98E
- DATE – Weds 9/25 – 9-10am
Mike’s Hard Lemonade – Tapping into Twitter to Rebrand and Reawaken a Brand
- WHY? I like Mike’s authentic approach to Twitter – it sounds like a really funny guy name Mike is typing the tweets – https://twitter.com/mhl. I want to meet the people that made this happen.
- LINK – http://socialmediaweek.org/chicago/events/?id=85229#.UhKRjNIp98E
- DATE – Weds 9/25 – 4-5pm
I feel incredibly special to have been selected to Glass Explorers and be one of the first people to get Google Glass. Then, I started going through the data that Stanford student Andrej Karpath compiled and I found this tweet with just the #IfIHadGlass hashtag. No content, nothing to support.
This is insanely interesting because Guy Kawasaki, adviser to Motorola (owned by Google), stated he was not selected. Does this mysterious winner know an insider? Was there a random element involved? Weird. Oh well, I can’t wait to do amazing things with my pair.
EDITED 8-23 Looks like the date has come and gone…I would have thought FB would have made a big deal. Nothing. Oh well…
Facebook had a terrible earnings call yesterday that has sent the stock plummeting. Today, Mashable had a link that Facebook could reach one billion users in August based on an analyst report on iCrossing.
I’ve been keeping track of how many users are on Facebook for a while and thought I’d throw my data aginst it. I am a little rusty from my GE Six Sigma days and a little busy to do a full regression. So, I simply used Microsoft Excel’s Scatter Chart with a simple linear regression to see what it could predict. I used data from April 2007 on as low growth in the beginning was throwing off the numbers
BOLD PREDICTION – Facebook will reach 1 Billion users on August 16, 2012
Linear Regression Equation – y = .5405x – 21299
y – Users In Millions
x – Date
R² = 0.9567
Data is here if you want to do your own thing.